Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A 'morality meter'? Online? From MTV? So wrong, so many ways

This new online app (not sure if there is a mobile version yet) from MTV just concerns the hell out of me. Bravo to MTV for pushing a campaign against cyberbullying, and honestly, I'm not against this "Over the Line" app that ties rather well into that campaign. What concerns me again is that we even feel the need for something like this. Are our children without a moral compass? And if so, I'm pretty sure we can blame the parents for that one. The question then becomes whether or not said parent will accept responsibility for raising cyberdeliquents. The other reason there is cause for concern is that one of the major faults with this application is that the moral judgment is being made by (most likely) a group of your peers…some of whom might have some questionable morals. I could open up a whole can of worms about morals, personal accountability, parental obligations in raising children, etc…but I think that's just a waste of time and who am I to claim moral superiority over another? But seriously, do we need to go this far? I've always felt like the perfect litmus test when dealing with others is "The Golden Rule". Yeah, remember that old gem? "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Perhaps MTV should post that on a web page somewhere. http://amplify.com/u/39z4

Posted via web from Drop Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment